ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 22:17:11 -0500
Linguists and writing teachers use "redundancy" differently, and it's a technical term for both groups.  To a linguist, redundancy includes anything in the structure of language that is predictable. The puff of air (aspiration) found after initial /p/, /t/, and /k/ (pin, tin, kin) vs. the absence of it after /sp/, /st/, /sk/ (spill, still, skill) is a redundant feature in speech.  The -s suffix on a singular third person present verb is redundant; it's predictable from the presence of a third singular subject.  "That" or a "wh-" word at the beginning of a relative clause is predictable and therefore redundant.  Wriiting teachers don't concern themselves with such structural redundancies, but language is impossible without it.  In that sense, it's natural.  For the writing teacher "a pair of twins" is redundant because it contains an unnecessary repetition of the dual number of both "pair" and "twins."  I suspect we all agree this sort of redundancy, while natural enough or it wouldn't occur so readily, is not desirable.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University