ZOO408A Archives

January 2010

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 2010 16:06:01 -0500
Charlie Saunders sent me a note today to say that he found a Wilson's
Warbler in Fairfield, along the bike trail south of Joyce Park.
Charlie writes that "the Wilson's Warbler was first seen by the
Fairfield water treatment plant, as I looked down on the bird from 15
feet away. I later saw it along the frosted ground by the efflux from
the water treatment plant. The bird, a male, was strikingly colored
against the winter background. It had a solid black cap, bright
uniform yellow from throat to tail, no wing bars or streaks, pink
legs."

Along the bike trail that runs past the Fairfield water treatment
plant, there's a bridge over an effluent channel from the treatment
plant. Charlie said that the warbler was in the edge along the
channel.

There are a few American Pipits in and around the Miami-Hamilton Low
Dam, and Sam Fitton said there was at least one Killdeer there today.
A Least Sandpiper, which is an unusual January bird, seems to be
partial to the gravel bar island south of the waste water treatment
plant at Hamilton-Riverside Natural Area.

I thought the Wilson's Warbler is a neat record for January, and since
a bunch of folks on the list are working on January lists, etc., I
thought that and some of the others might be of interest to you.

Take care,
---Mike Busam
West Chester