FACULTYTALK Archives

April 2010

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Daren Bakst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:04:22 -0400
The problem is they are very high-cost unreliable sources of energy that
don't and can't displace fossil fuel generation.  If it weren't for
renewable energy mandates in states, even the large subsidies wouldn't have
been enough to drive these sources of energy.  BTW: I have no problem with
renewable sources that have proven to have some success, such as hydropower
(Hydro can be used for peak demand because it is dispatchable, unlike wind
and solar).

I don't think there should be any subsidies, so if these other sources are
desirable, they will be used on the grid without any mandates.

I don't know what "dirty" means, but coal is far cleaner and getting
better--not sure what issues there are with nuclear and natural gas.

Energy policy (electricity sector) used to be based on low-cost reliable
sources of electricity--undermining that principle undermines our economic
competitiveness (energy is an input in every good or service) and is
regressive in nature.

Daren Bakst