ATEG Archives

July 2010

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 17:59:04 -0400
Marshall --

My understanding (just from reading) was that kids go through a "don't
understand passives" --> "understand passives" transition" some time
between 3 and 6, that all things being equal you'd expect variation
among kids in terms of where they fall in that range when they make the
transition, and that the transition itself is near the same time as they
show evidence of recognizing lying/sarcasm (that last part might be out
of date, though -- it stuck in my head when I read it, but that was
quite a while ago). Common NVN patterns have agents as subjects (and
themes); pulling that cluster apart takes time. But.... all these
respondents were over 16.

My first suspicion is that the group having trouble were actually having
trouble with what we might call the genre of social-science experiment
prompts, but the column indicates that those kinds of effects weren't at
issue. I'll have to read the actual article, of course.

--- Bill Spruiell