FACULTYTALK Archives

August 2010

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
James Funk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:03:04 -0400
I spoke with the BlackBoard coordinator at Marion Technical College (MTC).
According to her, BlackBoard system administrators can access any class at
any time without our knowledge.  It's one of those powers that system
administrators have.  The MTC coordinator could name six individuals with
this power at MTC and then mentioned that BlackBoard system administrators
at the University of Cincinnati, who hosts BlackBoard for MTC, would have
similar powers.  The Dean or Vice-President of Instructional Services do not
possess similar powers; however, they could gain access covertly through the
BlackBoard system administrators.

In the past, my Dean has requested access to an ongoing BlackBoard course
for observation purposes.  I simply added her to my course and assigned a
role.

Unless your institution has a policy regarding how long courses remain on
BlackBoard, it is likely that they continue to be added to the inventory.
MTC does not have such a policy.  Faculty and the BlackBoard coordinator are
beginning to sit down and purge old BlackBoard courses.

James C. Funk, Esq., COI
Professor of Business Technologies
Marion Technical College
1467 Mt. Vernon Avenue