ATEG Archives

November 2010

From:
Lorraine Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:21:15 -0700
And I'm a heretic, I'm sure, when I suggest to my prospective English teachers that they not teach the exceptions to young, struggling students.  I think it's good to tell them that there ARE exceptions but not to bother them with all the "ifs" and "excepts" and "yes buts."  In the early years, kids just need the basics.  There is plenty of time in their high school college prep classes and beyond to learn the exceptions -- after the basics have become automatic.

Just my 2 cents.
Lorraine

On Nov 11, 2010, at 9:12 AM, Craig Hancock wrote:
>  it doesn't make sense to criticize [k-12 teachers'] lack of knowledge

No, it doesn't make sense because we are all at a lack of knowledge--college instructors as well as K-12.  We k-12 teachers need definitions to give to young learners.  It would be anti-intellectual to condemn Scott's group as merely "reaching back" to what worked for them when they learned grammar instruction if the only thing you can replace it with is definitions that are beyond the comprehension of k-12 learners.  I was one of those k-12 learners in the 70s.  I liked the definitions I got because I could understand them.  But I didn't like them because there were exceptions that I thought of that drove me crazy and made me think there was something I was missing.  The answer I think is for grammar definitions to be simple but to indicate to students that there are exceptions.  Martha Kolln is all very well for an adult to read, but she is not helping us explain things to k-12 students (an exception would be AP classes--I used to use her stuff when I taught AP Lang).  Given-New is higher level understanding, a concept more sophisticated than you may realize for some students to understand on a paragraph level--let alone from one sentence to another.

I appreciate all the responses that this thread has recently generated.

Susan