PARTNERS Archives

November 2010

PARTNERS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Dale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Partners Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2010 13:14:59 -0500
I like it! I would probably want to strongly suggest this to my students, rather than make it mandatory. Some students are heavily invested in projects for their major, and may be attempting to integrate ideas from this course into a thesis project that they are trying to develop.  I would not want to discourage such students from doing so. But I think that many of my U.S. students and Russian students will like the challenge that you are proposing. It is also often the case that we find students from both sides focusing on the same transnational issue that differently affect both countries. This happened, for instance, around the issue of oil drilling in the North Pole, where U.S. Corporations and nationalized oil companies in Russia are jockeying to influence future policy over the development of this area. The issue of indigenous rights (framed as collective cultural human rights) emerged as a common concern among students of both the U.S. and Russia.

John
John G. Dale
Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology,
Affiliate Faculty for the Institute for Conflict Analysis & Resolution,
Associate Faculty of the Center for Global Studies, and the Center for Justice, Law, and Society
George Mason University
4400 University Drive, MS 3G5
Robinson Hall B, Rm. 314
Fairfax, Virginia 22030 USA