FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2011

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Daren Bakst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:19:08 -0500
Michael,

I agree that the Court considered the benefit of hearing multiple views.
However, the ultimate result is that corporations have first amendment
rights and further, protecting a corporation's speech also played a major
role in the case:

From Bellotti:

"In the realm of protected speech, the legislature is constitutionally
disqualified from dictating the subjects about which persons may speak and
the speakers who may address a public issues.  If a legislature may direct
business corporations to "stick to business," it also may limit other
corporations -- religious, charitable, or civic -- to their respective
"business" when addressing the public. Such power in government to channel
the expression of views is unacceptable under the First Amendment."

Daren

<http://storyofstuff.org/citizensunited/>http://storyofstuff.org/citizensun>>>>