FACULTYTALK Archives

March 2011

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Bennett, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:33:02 +0000
I would like to claim the credit but my only involvement was to give Matt Howard (who is an outstanding finance student) one of his worst grades during the stretch run last year.  As I mentioned last year at this time, our players are real students who do go to class--and are really nice kids to boot.  Butler's star forward, Matt Howard got picked as Academic Player of the Year this year in NCAA division 1 and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.  He grew up in Connersville, IN with 10 siblings to keep him well grounded.  In fact, when USA today did a preseason profile on Butler, the reporter was talking to one of my colleagues, Bill Templeton, and the reporter told him that she had just had one of the weirdest sports interviews that she ever had with Matt Howard.  She said that Matt kept wanting to talk about this neat portfolio management class that he was in and she had to keep bringing him back to the subject of basketball.  There may be some hope yet for college basketball.

Let the Madness begin...

Best wishes to all.

Your friend,
Bob Bennett  writing from Heidelberg, Germany, with one of Bixby's colleagues.