AIMSALL Archives

April 2011

AIMSALL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sean Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2011 15:39:40 -0400
Hi all,

My enrollment numbers for IMS/EDP225 are a bit lower than previous
semesters, so I'd love some help getting the word out about
IMS/EDP225: Games & Learning.  If you wouldn't mind passing this blurb
along to your courses next week, I'd really appreciate it!

IMS/EDP225: Games & Learning
11:15am-12:30pm WF
Dr. Sean Duncan ([log in to unmask])

In this cross-listed course, we'll be investigating the exciting
intersection of gaming and learning: What can games help us to
understand about how learning occurs in a 21st century replete with
interactive media of many forms?  What can a focus on learning can
help us to understand about the effective design of games?  We'll be
wrestling with the interpretation of popular digital games, board
games, card games, as well as games specifically designed for learning
or social change.  On top of that, this semester the class will
feature a new emphasis on design -- both curricular and game design --
and students will learn how to develop instruction around a game as
well as design games from the ground up.

The course is designed to provide an introduction of both "games for
change" and how better understanding games might impact theories of
learning.  Course readings include: What Video Games Have to Teach Us
About Learning & Literacy by James Paul Gee, Video Games and Education
by Kurt Squire, Pilgrim in the MIcroworld by David Sudnow, and Reality
Is Broken by Jane McGonigal.  Course discussions will cover critical
educational perspectives on how players learn in gaming environments
and how games may foster sophisticated literacy, math, science, and
design practices.  Students will have the opportunity to develop
prototypes for several educational games over the course of the
semester (board games and digital games), as well as experiment with
how one might use commercial games in educational settings (e.g.,
Pandemic, Civilization, Little Big Planet, and Minecraft).  No
previous experience with gaming or game design is assumed, just a
willingness to play and experiment.

The course is designed for students interested in interactive media
studies or design, education, or those just interested in developing a
better understanding of how a particular kind of interactive media
"work."  If you have any questions or would like more information
about the course, please don't hesitate to email Dr. Duncan at

--sean

Sean C. Duncan
   Armstrong Professor of Interactive Media Studies
   Assistant Professor, School of Education, Health, and Society &
   Armstrong Institute for Interactive Media Studies
   Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056
   [log in to unmask] / se4n.org