FACULTYTALK Archives

June 2011

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter Shears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:07:50 +0100
while we're on this ...

ASTOR: Winston, if I were your wife, I would put poison in your coffee.
CHURCHILL: Nancy, if I were your husband, I would drink it.

(Exchange between Astor and Winston Churchill at Blenheim Palace, c. 1912, quoted in Elizabeth Langhorne, Nancy Astor and her Friends)

Winston Churchill and George Bernard Shaw: Shaw had written a new play, and sent Churchill two tickets to the opening night performance, along with a note reading, 'Here are two tickets to my new play. Bring a friend, if you have one.' Churchill, ever the wag, replied immediately with the following missive: 'Sorry, but I can't make it to the opening night performance. Please send me tickets to the second performance, if there is one.'