ATEG Archives

May 2012

From:
Philip Bralich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2012 00:39:55 -0700
I know this list is basically an English grammar list, but I know there are
Italian speakers and linguists out there, so I am asking an indulgence for
an Italian question that may be elucidating to grammarians in general ...

I have been trying to understand this Italian phrase for a while now, and I
guess the main problem I am having is the subtle complexity of double object
verbs in Italian.

Here is the phrase:

"Prestare il proprio il fianco alle critiche."

The problem I find is that nothing indicates the direct object or the
indirect object except the word order which still remains confusing to me
and I guess is variable.  I speak a bit of French and Japanese and German
and as a Ph.D. in theoretical linguistics have looked at a lot of languages,
am aware that double object verbs in Italian are difficult, but have no
relevant training or study to weed through this.  Any ideas?  Particularly
ideas on how to sort out an Italian double object verb sentence.

The translations I have gotten so far are:  It. for "to leave yourself wide
open" or "to let the devil hit you on your weak side"  or "offer your flank
to the devil." Or my interpretation, "be open to criticism and let the chips
fall where they may."

Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D.

Il fianco ...