FACULTYTALK Archives

September 2012

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kurt Schulzke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2012 06:19:30 -0400
While I am in favor of "doing something," I think we need to be careful to avoid the "help in the worst way" syndrome. We don't want to dilute our own business law brand in an indignant but ineffective reaction to what appears on its face to be a problem. Is it really a problem? How many students are actually using these services? Op-eds should propose a workable solution. Any suggestions?

A trademark or brand dilution qui tam claim would be creative but unworkable under state and federal false claims acts. The most expansive state FCA is New York's:

http://www.taf.org/resources/statefca/new-york

Like the federal FCA, in general terms, it requires the presentment to the State of a false claim for payment of money or property.  To get beyond mere symbolism, such a claim would need a single defendant with enough accessible assets to make it worthwhile for the US DOJ or state AG to investigate the case. One potential defendant class: universities that take federal $$ knowing (or in deliberate disregard of the facts) that their online courses are compromised by this kind of scam.

Kurt S. Schulzke, JD, CPA, CFE
Associate Professor of Accounting & Business Law
Director - Law, Ethics & Regulation
Corporate Governance Center
Kennesaw State University
Kennesaw, Georgia USA