FACULTYTALK Archives

December 2012

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kurt Schulzke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 22:44:57 -0500
Thomas Cavenaugh's much appreciated effort to "clarify terms that mean something specific and significant in this area" could be extended to many recent Newton-related ALSB Talk posts.

For example, one proposed to ban "guns that are automatic and that have bullet cartridges." As this list is populated by lawyers (or former lawyers) known, as a group, for haggling over the meaning of words like "is," it can hardly be said "nit-picking" to observe that guns without bullet cartridges are an oxymoron. What is popularly called the "bullet" is the business end of a "cartridge." Even muzzleloaders use cartridges. In an automatic or semi-automatic firearm, cartridges are stored in a magazine prior to being "chambered" on the way to firing. Unless the author of the post wishes to ban all guns, I would guess she misused the word "cartridge" in place of "magazine." For more on this and similar distinctions, a helpful webpage is this: http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/bullets-and-cartridges/.

In a similar vein, a highly educational, quick read on the subject of gun "control" in the Newtown context is Megan McArdle's Dec. 17 article, There's Little We Can Do to Prevent Another Massacre, http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/12/17/there-s-little-we-can-do-to-prevent-another-massacre.html. Short of a book or law review article, I have not seen a better primer for those wishing to engage in the debate. I close with this key excerpt:

* * *

The sort of people who can qualify for a legal handgun are the sort of people who are vanishingly unlikely to commit a crime with it.  And the people who can't qualify, but own guns anyway . . . well, we've got this huge border with Mexico.  We can't even keep whole people from being smuggled across it. How are we going to make sure that they don't bring guns with them?

There's a terrible syllogism that tends to follow on tragedies like this:

1. Something must be done

2. This is something

3. Therefore this must be done.

. . . and hello, Gulf War II.

It would certainly be more comfortable for me to endorse doing something symbolic--bring back the "assault weapons ban"--in order to signal that I care.  But I would rather do nothing than do something stupid because it makes us feel better.

* * *

Best regards,

Kurt S. Schulzke, JD, CPA, CFE
Associate Professor of Accounting & Business Law
Director - Law, Ethics & Regulation
Corporate Governance Center
Kennesaw State University
+ 1770-423-6379 (O)