FACULTYTALK Archives

September 2013

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter J Shedd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2013 13:07:14 +0000
Greetings --

While I do not have the statement you are looking for to help make the case that a Law course needs to be in Business curriculum and I don't have a list of schools that have a required Business Law/Legal Environment course, I do want to make sure everyone is aware of the language of the "new" 2013 AACSB Business Accreditation Standards.

In Standard 9 (see http://www.aacsb.edu/accreditation/business/standards/2013/learning-and-teaching/standard9.asp) the following appears:

	"General Business and Management Knowledge Areas

		- Economic, political, regulatory, legal, technological, and social contexts of organizations in a global society"

This first bullet point is one of seven bullet points (lists of topics).  I believe it is significant and therefore important that the words "regulatory and legal" appear in the first bullet point.  After these seven bullet points, Standard 9 goes on as follows:

	"General Business Master's Degree Programs

	"In addition to the general skill and knowledge areas, general business master's degree programs would normally include learning 	experiences in the following areas:"

Then there is another list of five bullet points.  The critically important language is "in addition to the general . . .  knowledge areas."  This makes it clear that cover of all topics (including regulatory and legal) in the "General Business and Management Knowledge Areas" must be a part of the MBA degree program.

Now, let me emphasize that none of the foregoing language and nothing in the AACSB Accreditation Standards requires a course in a specified topic.  Thus, I don't think that Standard 9 alone is sufficient to make the case for a Business Law/Legal Environment course.  This Standard should be used to why the topic is viewed as so important.

Having made this point, how is the regulatory and legal component of the curriculum to be covered/presented?  Now, you make the case for a separate course.  One of our long-time colleagues, Lee Reed, has made the case very effectively by bringing a copy of the Wall Street Journal to a curriculum committee meeting and showing how many (even front-page) stories would be relevant in a law course.  I've seen Lee do this many times and he hasn't had to look for a particular copy of the paper.  Any day of the WSJ will illustrate the importance of law to the business community.

If someone has a list of schools that have a law course(s) in their undergraduate or MBA programs, please make sure all of us are provided a copy.  I know such a request has been made via our ALSBTALK listserv in the past, so maybe someone can share what they have collected.

Best wishes to all,

Peter Shedd

AACSB Liaison