FACULTYTALK Archives

October 2013

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2013 21:14:50 +0000
Decisions of referees for peer-reviewed journals can often be whimsical at best.

I was at a conference in Chicago Friday and Saturday attended mostly by IO economists, some pure modelers and some empiricists. There was expression of disdain for law reviews by a couple of empirical economists who work with patent data. I commented privately to one of them that the arrogance and overclaiming by so many economists never ceased to amaze me. He did agree with what I said about the common whimsy of reviewers on PR journals. And it is certainly true that a reviewer can usually figure out who the authors are on a so-called blind reviewed paper. I have done a lot of reviewing for PR journals, and I know this to be true although I try hard to avoid finding out.

John

John R. Allison

The Spence Centennial Professor of Business, and

Professor of Intellectual Property

McCombs School of Business

University of Texas at Austin