FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2013

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kurt Schulzke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2013 14:31:10 -0500
Robert -

My initial reaction was the same as John's. As delivered to the list, the question comes across as naive or even stupid. But viewing legal knowledge as a mere mistake preventative ignores the powerful potential of legal understanding to add positive value. Maybe your colleagues would benefit from a personal copy of George Seidel's article, Using Proactive Law for Competitive Advantage. See http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1664561.

That said, it would be interesting to know the extent to which empirical data "support the presence of a robust job market (and salary) for MBA’s with ____ training." (Fill in the blank with any one of a multitude of other topics typically covered in MBA programs.) Taken literally, this question should be pretty easy to answer with respect to business law because most MBA programs require some mix of "legal, regulatory, and CSR" training. If MBA graduates get "good" jobs, case closed. But I think the Proactive Law argument is more compelling.

Kurt S. Schulzke, JD, CPA, CFE
Associate Professor of Accounting & Business Law
Director - Law, Ethics & Regulation
Corporate Governance Center
Kennesaw State University
+ 1770-423-6379 (O)