FACULTYTALK Archives

February 2014

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Petty, Ross" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2014 00:51:40 +0000
I happened to be guest lecturing all afternoon in our UG marketing core and students and others started emailing about this to me this morning, so I worked this example into my afternoon classes.  Each had at least 3-4 students who had of the story since it seemed to be viral first and regular news outlets second.

My other concern about the parody is that I think Dumb Starbucks was dumb and took more of the Starbucks logo and other trade dress than needed to call up the subject of the parody.  Mickey Mouse (well Disney actually) beat Air Pirates with that argument and Air Pirates was doing a parody comic book that arguably was more first amendment and less commercial.   I am assuming Dumb Starbucks will eventually charge for coffee even though ti gave it away this past weekend.  That makes Dumb Starbucks more commercial than First Amendment and quite franking just labeling it dumb is not much of a parody.
Still courts are remarkably unpredictable in deciding parody cases and Dumb Starbucks looks more like a free rider than intelligent social commentary.

Ross D. Petty
Professor of Marketing Law and Faculty Scholar
Babson College.