ATEG Archives

November 2014

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2014 17:26:53 -0800
Please reread what I wrote. I provided evidence that ‘for’ is not unambiguosly a subordinator and noted that the rules in most usage books classify ‘for’ with the coordinators. Semantic similarity of ‘for’ and ‘because’ is no evidence at all for lexical categorization. If it were, then ‘however’ would be considered a coordinator because it is more or less equivalent in meaning to ‘but’ in many contexts.

If you prefer, on balance, to call it a subordinator, I understand the choice, but to simply dismiss sentences that start with “for” as in error overlooks the fact that a lot of standard authorities disagree with you. By dismissing it as a “simple” mistake you are erecting your particular analysis into a hard-and-fast rule that many, many other well-educated writers don’t follow.

And, of course, the use of “for” you cite in your final example is entirely different, as this is the marker of an infinitive clause. At issue is “for” with a finite clause.