FACULTYTALK Archives

April 2015

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kurt Schulzke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 2015 11:53:15 -0400
Do accountants monotonically "tend see things as right or wrong (to the penny)"? And are legal "balancing tests" and "fair use" not attempts by attorneys to force "clear cut answers" on questions that are inherently not clear cut?

The history of the interaction between law and accounting reveals an accounting profession of at least two (very emphatic) minds on the merits of "clear cut answers" and that attorneys have been just as "wobbly" as some accountants when it comes to managing earnings.* Anyway, doesn't "wobbly" imply variation or statistical error, which are the antithesis of "clear cut"?

* This history and related themes are explored in my article Wink, Wink, Nudge Judge: Persuading U.S. Courts to Take Accountants Seriously in Federal Securities Cases, with Help from the U.K. Companies Act (forthcoming in the Tennessee Journal of Business Law, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2554817).

Kurt S. Schulzke, JD, CPA, CFE
Associate Professor of Accounting & Business Law
Director - Law, Ethics & Regulation
Corporate Governance Center
Kennesaw State University
+ 1-470-578-6379 (O)