FACULTYTALK Archives

November 2016

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kurt Schulzke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 2016 08:59:33 -0500
Just returned from the SEALSB meeting in Durham, NC (great state, BTW, with or w/o HB2), where we were treated to a fascinating discussion of deception led by researchers at Duke's Center for Advanced Hindsight (http://advanced-hindsight.com/). The discussion was centered around the movie, (Dis)Honesty – The Truth About Lies, produced by the Center (http://thedishonestyproject.com/film/) available on Netflix. Every attorney (and probably every human being) should watch it.

In this context, I was struck by Art Sulzberger's Nov 11 letter claiming to "rededicate" the NYT to "reporting America and the world honestly," while at the same time stating, "We believe we reported on both candidates fairly during the presidential campaign." Seriously. A copy of the letter is available at https://twitter.com/melbournecoal/status/797171598163898368/photo/1.

Kudos to Christy Benson, Charlotte Alexander and the whole SEALSB team for organizing a super conference in such a fun, welcoming town. Lots of interesting papers. Loved Patricia's and Ann's presentation Saturday on right of withdrawal in consumer contracts. Serious food for thought. In what other arenas are we deceiving ourselves by thinking that regulations actually do what "we" want them to do? Maybe it's time to stand the government down a bit and let people be themselves?

The staff at 21c Museum Hotel were so accommodating. And how about those see-through restrooms? (Pic attached. Editorial: Easy not to care about one-holers, right?) But I digress.

The jazz event Friday night was a great way to end the day. Finally, apropos of nothing, driving back to Atlanta I enjoyed progressive radio broadcasts of five college FB games: NC vs Syracuse, NC State v whoever, SC v FL, Clemson v Pitt, and UGA v Auburn. What a trip!!

Kurt S. Schulzke, JD, CPA, CFE
Associate Professor of Accounting & Business Law
Director - Law, Ethics & Regulation
Corporate Governance Center
Kennesaw State University
+ 1-470-578-6379 (O)