OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Tania Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tania Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2017 03:24:12 +0000
A hatch-male year Calliope hummingbird has been seen and confirmed in the
back yard of my residence. It has been here for approximately one week.
This bird had previously been thought to be a Rufous hummingbird but was
subsequently correctly identified by Bryan Sharp, with confirmation from
multiple others.  It has been observed feasting at the hummingbird feeder
and foraging among some of the blooms still present throughout my yard;
pineapple sage, cat nip, and honeysuckle vine, to name a few.

This is truly a rare and remarkable presence for all in Ohio. With that
said, I have carefully considered the logistics of allowing the bird to
been seen. I live on a dead-end residential road in Delaware County.
Wanting to be mindful and respectful of the impact on my neighborhood, I
have established the following guidelines for viewing.  PLEASE BE ADVISED:
FAILURE TO ADHERE TO THESE GUIDELINES WILL RESULT IN US NO LONGER ALLOWING
THE HUMMINGBIRD TO BE VIEWED.

Please adhere to the strict 25 mile-per-hour speed limit. Lots of children
are present on my street and are often walking or riding bikes on the
street. You may park on the shoulder of the street in front of my house;
pennants have been placed where you may park, and you may park on the
unmarked shoulder between the pennants.  Do not park on the berm of
residences that are not marked, for you will be asked to move your vehicle.
We will, to the best of our ability, provide parking opportunities. Please
do not park in the driveway.  If you require handicap access, ask and we
may allow you to park in the driveway.  Here are also a couple locations
where vehicles can park if the area is full and people are willing to
carpool: Deer Haven Park and Havener Park on Liberty Rd. Delaware, Ohio

The viewing times, as of now, will be from 8:30am till 6:00pm.

Location, 4575 Maynard Rd. Delaware, Ohio

A designated viewing area – outlined on the west side of our back yard in
yellow “caution” tape - will allow for plenty of visible space to observe.
The viewing area is open and not covered so, if weather is inclement,
please dress accordingly.  We will have a small table out in the viewing
area when weather permits and would ask all visitors to please sign the log
on the table.  If it is raining or otherwise inclement, we will not have
the log or table out.

How long will the Calliope remain???? No one knows, but a daily sighting
update will be posted.

Some helpful known facts

1.      2002 was the only known official record of a Calliope hummingbird
in Ohio.

2.      Identifying marks include: The wingtips reach just beyond tail tip;
the coloring on the side is beige rather than rufous; the beak is short; it
has short, blunt inner tail feathers, but can be difficult to see; and it
has the greenish stippling in the white throat.

The hummingbird can be seen frequenting the feeding sites named and
frequently perches on the wire of the clothesline, as well as perching in
the lilac bush immediately to the left and behind the feeder.  It has also
been seen in the pin oak at the corner of the viewing area, so keep your
eyes peeled; it may be anywhere!!