OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2019

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2019 11:45:16 -0400
I had seen a report of a Sedge Wren on the ebird daily report yesterday at this locale so I went in search of this elusive OH list bird. I’ve heard it at Battelle Darby but have yet to see it.

I was not successful but had an excellent outing anyway.

On past trips I thought I had heard Bobolinks but it wasn’t until today that I confirmed them, getting great views of a pair fairly close. The male looked like he was about to molt but still had his distinctive markings. On the way out I saw 3 Bobolinks together.

While I was watching a Solitary Sandpiper at the pond, I was delighted to hear multiple Red-headed WPs. At least 4, possibly 5 adults were calling and flying back and forth between a large oak and a fruiting mulberry tree. Quite the spectacle.

Pond also had a female Ruddy Duck & a Great Blue.

The mulberry was also attracting Mockingbirds, Catbirds, Cedar Waxwings, cardinals, robins and many Starlings. I also had a brief look at a female Summer Tanager and a silent Empid that I guessed was Willow?

Indigo Buntings easy to find. Am Goldfinches abundant. Song, Chipping & Field Sparrows. E Phoebe. E Meadowlarks. Large flock of Killdeer, maybe a dozen?!

Barn & Tree Swallows. Only warbler was Com YT.

Oddly, did not see any raptors. I usually see Red-tailed & kestrel there.

If the ebird poster is on this list, pls reply to me offlist—I would be interested to know where you saw the wren yesterday. And if anyone sees/hears the Sedge Wren again, pls post or reply to me offlist. Thx!

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone