OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2020

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 2020 15:49:53 -0400
Intrigued by Robert Thorns post about Rhododendron Cove outside Lancaster, a Reserve not known to me despite living in Lancaster 2012-14 (along w/Christmas Rocks), I decided to check it out today. I also wanted to see if any whimbrels were still at the flooded field near I-70. I couldn’t spot a safe place to pull over to scan with the traffic but a brief look did not look promising so I kept going S.

Unfortunately, Rhododendron Cove’s parking lot was almost full and numerous largish family groups were headed up the main trail which is too narrow for social distancing so I turned back and hope to check it out another day and at an earlier hour, ditto Christmas Rocks. Thx for the post tho—always fun to find new spots. Heard Yellow and Com YT as well as indigo buntings, rose-breasted grosbeaks & Red-eyed Vireos the brief time I was there.

At Clear Creek, I found some solitude near Mathis Cabin. Also walked part of the hemlock trail which was v muddy and more heavily traveled incl a group w/2 dogs despite “no pets” signs at all the trail heads they claimed they never saw...

Mostly breeding birds but a couple migrants. got my FOS Willow FC which was cooperative enough to call as I was trying to ID it. Also FOS Black-billed Cuckoo (heard only).

Warblers
LA WTs—singing, calling and chasing. Wondered if some lost nests with all the rain?
BT Green
N Parula
Yellow-throated
Ovenbird