FACULTYTALK Archives

May 1994

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Todd Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 1994 12:32:00 EDT
In assessing this issue I believe that one must look at the role of professiona
lism in academia.  What should be the role of the business law professor vis a
vis his or her companions in the departments?  Is there (or should there be) a
national standard to assess whether to go into practice?

To the first point.  In most colleges the business law professor may be the onl
y person capable of making a fairly good income "working on the side".  Despite
 all the talk about consulting in academia, only a few make any real money at i
t.  The majority of business faculty do not have the opportunity to consult due
 to geographic restrictions, etc.  Frankly the majority do not have a "product"
-the specialized knowledge or experience-to sell.  However the typical BL profe
ssor can go into almost any community and start making money.  Therefore there
may be resentment aimed at the BL prof.  These are people who have to vote on y
ou for tenure, etc.  My question - Has anybody been attacked either subtley or
not for pursing outside income?

Should there be national standards or at least a guide that addresses this issu
e?  Should professors at research schools be more restricted than those at teac
hing schools?  Should the average level of income affect this debate? (Since th
e BS professors tend to be on the low end of the salary scale.)  What about the
 areas of law?  Should your outside practice be contingent on whether you handl
e a lot of business related topics (and thus could arguably support your teachi
ng)?

This is a good topic. One that I believes goes to the heart of our professional
 status in the academic community.