MU-VMS Archives

July 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 1994 16:35:57 -0500
As of this weekend, I have been unable to get a dial-up
connection onto my vms or vm accounts.  Can anyone out there
help with this?

The problem seems to be with communications between my modem and
Miami's data switch (Gandalf, or whatever answers 529-2161).
I am initially able to connect, select service, and log onto my
account.  However, I find garbage characters inserted onto the
command line (like [{?*(... ), and I often loose the connection
abruptly.  The configuration on my end is MacKermit running on
an old Macintosh portable (68000, 4 MB RAM, system 6.0.8) attached
to a Hayes brand 2400 baud modem.

Items in the "Settings" menu in MacKermit are configured as follows:
in the "Communications" dialog box, the rate is set to 2400
and the parity at even; in the "protocol" dialog box, handshake is
set to "X-off".  These settings have worked fine for me as recently as
a week ago.  I have tried using the "AT&" command to re-set my modem
to default configuration.

Thanks--Chuck Burks