FACULTYTALK Archives

October 1994

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ed Conry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Oct 1994 10:53:06 -0600
All,
It took only a weekend to learn Harvard Graphics.  Now color overheads of
tables, charts and diagrams to supplement my lectures are easy.  With
an LCD panel (which sits on top of an overhead projector) and a portable
computer, I can do "presentations" where the computer controls the color
images on the screen and where objects such as arrows can be animated, i.e.,
grown or evolved.  This tools helps students a great deal and even keeps
me on topic (can you believe that?)!

I saw this demonstrated, as did many of you, at the Midwest, by Laura
Pincus (are you still talking to me Laura?).  When I bought a second book
describing how Harvard Graphics works, I noticed there were only two
books on HG but 12 on Corel Draw.  Is anyone out there aware of the
differences among the "draw" and "presentation" programs?  I know HG is
object oriented while other programs are bit mapped, but I don't have a
feel for how this affects the usefulness of the programs.  I'm wondering
now if I should shift to PowerPoint, Corel or something else?  I'm also
considering asking my college to buy a high end color printer.  Has anyone
out there any suggestions for this graphics novice?

Ed Conry

ps.  I've decided that the most important **skill** I can develop in my
students is **skill in factual analysis.**  I've found the graphics
supplements particularly helpful with this task.  Jeff Nesteruk and I have
talked through a couple of exercises aimed at building the skill.  As I
think about how this is developed in law school, it seems to be done in a
relatively unstructured manner.  On the other hand, its done so often that
I think it becomes a part of the *deep*, tacit, knowledge of lawyers, and
accounts for much of their professional/political success.  It is also,
in my view, the skill which most determines managerial success.  The law
schools' unstructured approaches (integrated over 90 units) isn't likely to
work in a single class, so I've been trying to develop a grammar,
structure, or system for doing factual analysis.  So I'm interest in
conversing with others sharing this interest.

pps.  Both these topics are probably too narrow for the list.  Maybe you
should e-mail me directly if you want to talk more.