MUTALK Archives

October 1994

MUTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John B Harlan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University conversation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 1994 01:04:05 -0500
In article <1994Oct9.220812.30966@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(Adder) wrote (in part):
> Giving 12,000++ students accounts was probably not a Good Move [...]

Do you think it wasn't a good move because of logistical considerations
(i.e., Miami doesn't yet have a fully implemented campus network connecting
all academic buildings, residence halls, etc, and our modem pool supply
can't meet demand) or on general principle?

Speaking personally as a relative newcomer to the University (of 15
months), I was surprised to find when I first arrived here that Miami
wasn't already automatically providing accounts to all students, staff and
faculty, as many colleges and universities have been doing for years
(with or without campus networks in place).

Despite the logistical difficulties faced in doing it this fall, and the
inadequacies in resources (namely, modems and direct network connections)
highlighted by having done it, I think the automatic and universal
provision of computing accounts is strategically a very good thing for
Miami.  I think it is fair to say that Miami Computing & Information
Services (MCIS) is emerging a stronger service provider (in terms of
documentation, support and training) as a result of this largely self-
imposed baptism of fire.  And hopefully the increased equity in opportunity
for access to computing resources will result in more Miami University
graduates entering the workforce with electronic communication experience
and skills.

End of sermon :-)

--
                           John B Harlan
        Campus Wide Information Systems (CWIS) Coordinator