FACULTYTALK Archives

November 1994

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Laura Pincus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 1994 12:33:34 -0600
Hi all.   I thought that I would share with all of you something that has
really made a difference for me on the Internet.  Somehow, somewhere, I
received information on my email regarding the "Roadmap" workshop.  It
is operated by Patrick Crispen at the University of Alabama for new
Internet users.  One simply had to subscribe and they were given a
different "lesson" each day for about a month.  I subscribed and it has
helped me a great deal.  The lessons cover information on World Wide
Web, email, file transfer protocol, usenets, interent, copying files and
software (legally), etc.  I don't know why this man does this; it is offered
at no charge whatsoever and is full of the most helpful hints.
Nevertheless, he has had over 60,000 subscribers to his workshop.

The workshop has been closed and Patrick is not offering another go
round.  However, for those of you who are interested, I just received the
following email message regarding others who may want to share in this
information.  I hope this helps any of you who are interested.

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving to all.  I'm thankful for a lot.

Laura Pincus
_______________

Patrick Crispen writes:

The response to the Roadmap for the Information Superhighway free
Internet training workshop has been so overwhelming -- over 62,000
people from 77 countries have subscribed to the workshop's 3
distribution lists -- that I have had to close the workshop's distribution
lists to new subscribers.

At this point in time, there are no plans to repeat the
Roadmap workshop anytime in the near future.  There is still a way for
you to receive the Roadmap workshop lessons through e-mail, though.
All of the Roadmap workshop lessons have been archived on a
computer at the University of Alabama, and you can retrieve these
lessons using a few, simple e-mail commands.

To find out how to retrieve the Roadmap workshop lessons, and to find
out a little more about the Roadmap workshop, all you have to do is send
an e-mail letter to

(that's "you-ay-won-vee-em") with the command

                    GET MAP PACKAGE F=MAIL

in the *BODY* of your e-mail letter.

NOTE: Simply replying to the letter that you are reading right now with a
GET MAP PACKAGE F=MAIL command will *NOT* work. You must send a
*NEW* letter to

with the command

                    GET MAP PACKAGE F=MAIL

in the body of your letter for your command to work.

After you send you letter off, a computer at the University of
Alabama will process your letter, and will -- usually within
24 hours -- e-mail you two letters: one telling you a little more about the
Roadmap workshop, and another telling you how you can retrieve the
workshop lessons with a few, simple e-mail commands.

Thank you for your interest in the Roadmap workshop, and I hope that
you will enjoy the workshop lessons.

   PATRICK DOUGLAS CRISPEN    THE VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS
LETTER DO NOT
    [log in to unmask]      NECESSARILY REPRESENT THE
VIEWS OF THE
  THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA      UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA -
TUSCALOOSA

      ROADMAP: COPYRIGHT PATRICK CRISPEN 1994. ALL RIGHTS
RESERVED.

   To unsubscribe from ANY Roadmap workshop, send an e-mail letter to
   [log in to unmask] which says UNSUB * in the body of the
letter