FACULTYTALK Archives

April 1995

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Lofton J D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 1995 17:38:20 -0500
Don, you might check with the American Bar Association Commission on College
and University Legal Studies.  The Commission publishes a _Directory of
Undergraduate Programs of Legal Studies, Law and Society_.  The directory
contains the names, addresses and telephone numbers of legal studies program
coordinators.  Although the Commission address law and legal studies as a
part of the liberal arts, this source may give you some of what you're looking
for.

As for us here at the University of
Southwestern Louisiana:  The four legal studies faculty members are a part of
the Department of Business Administration and Legal Studies in the College of
Business Administration.  In the past, we were part of the department of
accounting and legal studies; before that, the department of general business.
As you can see, the powers that be cannot seem to decide where to stick us.

On a brighter note, the College has just this semester established a legal
studies/business law minor, requiring a student to take nine (9) hours of
business law courses beyond the introductory legal environment of business
course.  (Now, if we only taught at least nine hours of BLAW beyond ....)

Further, Don, I suggest that you might want to contact Carol J Miller,
of Southwest Missouri State University.  She presented a paper before the
Academy in August 1992, "Finding a Departmental Niche for Legal Environment,"
that seems to address your question.  If you cannot get in touch with Carol,
let me know and I'll send you a photocopy of her paper.

Later, then!

J David Lofton
318/482-6083 (voice)
318/482-5906 (FAX)