FACULTYTALK Archives

May 1995

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kenneth Schneyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 May 1995 23:49:23 -0400
Concerning multiple paper presentations:

On general principles, I agree with Ginney.  I see nothing wrong with
giving the same paper at more than one conference, so long as you're not
repeating it before essentially the same audience and boring them to
tears.  (This has happened, once or twice, between regionals and the
national conference.)

However, I should say that I have recently heard of another point of
view.  In a recent informal seminar at Brown University, given to
graduate students in the humanities, an historian gave firm advice
*never* to deliver the same paper at more than one conference.  Her
rationale was:  When people catch you doing it, they will assume that you
are merely trying to puff up your vita without doing any real work.
Further, news spreads quickly in the academic community, and any repeat
performance of the same paper at different conferences will invariably
get around to all interested parties in very short order.

I have to say that when I first heard this argument, I was a bit
incredulous.  However, there it is.

Yours in absentia,

Ken