MGTDEV-L Archives

September 1995

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"H. H. Robinson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 16:28:00 EST
Hello MGTDEV-Lers,

I am sending you a summary of responses I received to my recent query
regarding management training needs assessment instruments.  I received
many replies requesting a summary of responses, so I thought it is good to
share the findings with all of you.

I received a number of very helpful suggestions, recommendations from the
following people:

Lynne Benjamin, Al Brockwell, John Jones, Paul Knudstrup, Mike Krause,
Marty Milette, Jeannette Swist, James Thompson, Debbie Twadell, Jack D.
Wilner and Bryan R. Zent

Thanks again for your help.

Hannah Robinson

My question was:

From: [log in to unmask] (Jeannette Swist )

The STEP is a tool created for selection, promotion, career development,
succession planning and training needs assessment.  It is an excellent
resource - I am currently working with about a dozen individuals in the
Chicagoland area who have utilized it for career development purposes.
The STEP procedures involves a three step process:  Job Analysis
through completion of a Managerial and Professional Job Functions
Inventory, a battery of 5 tests representing an assessment of up to 50
measures of abilities, skills and attributes in five general areas
(personal background, mental abilities, aptitudes, temperament and
emotional adjustment) and a Job Skills Assessment.
<For more info, please contact Jeannette>

From: Debbie Twadell

We are using a software package from Lominger Limited Inc., 1825 Girard Avenue
South, Minneapolis, MS 55403-2944, 612-374-1466.  They have two products -
Career Architect and Voices.  Voices allows you to send discs to the
supervisor, his/her superior, peers, and subordinants.  Career Architect allows
you to produce several different reports and to build a developmental plan with
the employee.  The supervisor and the superior also rate the importance of each
competency to the current job.  The program will also show the undesired effect
if a strength is overused.

The developers, Michael Lombardo and Robert Eichinger were with the Center for
Creative Leadership for a number of years and their research was on managerial
compentencies and career stoppers and stallers.  They also have a non-computer
version which allows all people to sort cards on the manager's compentencies.
We use to use this version, but it's very time consuming and tedious.

The advantage overtime is the decrease in costs over a form which someone else
processes and returns to you.  We formerly used PDI's "ESP" which ran $300 or
$400 per person.  The Center for Creative Leadership also has a good product,
but again the costs are high.  Hope this is helpful.

From: Bryan R. Zent

You might want to check out Visibility Plus, a 360 Feedback process
developed by Business Survey Systems and marketed by CWH Research.  It
can be used as an evaluation of managerial skills as well as a training
needs assessment.  It is designed to get feedback from peers, manager,
self, & subordinates.  They have a standard 360 instrument that is
machine scored and evaluates each member of a work group or provides an
upward evaluation.  The process can be completed by mail and turn-around
time is two weeks.  The reports you receive include a composite graph of
all employees in the work group, categorized by behavior sets such as
team concept, interpersonal skills, leadership, or accountability.
Management receives a report that lists each item within a behavior set
and statistical information about ranking within each group.  Each
employee evaluated is listed by number so that individual as well as team
results can be reviewed for training needs.  Their number is (303)840-9345
Address is CWH Research, PO Box 313, Parker, CO  80134  Good luck on your
search.  Hope this helped.

From: Al Brockwell

      I highly recommend the Profilor instrument from Personnel
      Decisions Inc.  They may be reached at 1-800 633-4410 in the
      States, or +1 612 339-0927.

From: "Lynne Benjamin" <[log in to unmask]>

Hannah, firstep has designed what we call an "Knowledge & Skills
Inventory" for Management/Leadership Skills.  If you are interested
please let me know.
<For more info, please contact Lynne>

From: [log in to unmask] (Marty R. Milette)

I'm currently developing a software package called "Training Master" - it
will be able to do some of what you are asking. If you have a more detailed
"wish list" - please let me know what you need and I may be able to put it
into the first release.

I have other tools available through a (sort-of-working) web site at:
http://www.magi.com/~mmilette/
Hope this is of value!  Cheers, Marty...

From: [log in to unmask] (John Jones)

We have been working for several years in the area of training-needs
assessment, and our two software systems allow low-cost methods for
developing locally valid, reliable measurement instruments and
procedures.

The ORGANIZATIONAL UNIVERSE SURVEY SYSTEM (OUSS) is a DOS application
that makes it easy to develop and process surveys of organizations,
divisions, departments, or other groupings of people. It can be used
for the assessment of training outcomes, training needs, climate,
attitudes, morale, "culture," customer feedback, quality, and
organizational behavior. The OUSS contains over 3000 ready-to-use,
easily customizable questionnaire-survey items. The system features
mouse support and pull-down menus and can easily operate under Windows.

The MANAGEMENT SKILLS ASSESSMENT SYSTEM (MSAS) is a Windows application
that facilitates providing sharply targeted, 360-degree feedback to
individuals (leaders, managers, supervisors, sales professonals, and
other employees) on how they are perceived by self, boss, peers,
subordinates, customers, and others. The focus is on skills,
competencies, and traits. Using this system in pre-post studies
provides a straightforward tracking system for training payoffs. The
system also produces a "spin-off" training-needs assessment by
aggregating data across targeted groups. The MSAS contains eight
ready-to-use, easily customizable assessment-survey questionnaires
in such areas as leadership, diversity, sales competencies, and
quality.
<For more info, please contact John>

From: James W. Thompson, Ph.D. APCO

I would suggest that you investigate London House's STEP Battery.
They are based in Chicago.  The STEP (Systeme for Testing & Evaluation
of Potential) has a self-skill assessment instrument that I have found
very useful in identifying developmental needs for managers.

From: Paul Knudstrup

We have used an instrument called the Management-Leadership Practices Inventory
(MLPI) for a number of years as a training/development needs assessment tool.
It's a 360 (self, boss, employees, peers) and encompasses 85 behavioral
statements devided into 20 Factors.  The MLPI has been particularly useful in
determining individual and group "Strengths" and "Opportunities for Improvement"
and then moving the participants into creating an Action Plan.  We've used it as
the "front end" needs assessment for a number of groups, using the results to
create a comprehensive management development training program focused on the
specific needs of the participant group.

From: krause mike

instruments (Profilor, Benchmarks, Leadership Effectiveness Analysis, etc.)
would work best if you have an open and trusting organization climate.
They are the high cost option.

Those commercial firms with a series of managerial development modules
might offer a different approach.  Use their module descriptions as a
starting point for people to identify the training they want.  This can be
done in a 360 mode by asking what the boss needs and what the subordinate
needs.

Over the past 25 year, I have found one theme in education, training and
development of adults - maximize the chance to use job related issues to
develop their skills.  If they can use and solve a real business problem,
you will shine since you will be able to show a direct contribution to
organization performance.