FACULTYTALK Archives

November 1995

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Dennis M. Garvis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 10:55:48 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 16:13:43 EST
From: Roy Simerly <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list IABS-L <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: AA

Great discussion on Affirmitive Action!  George Brenkert asked how
others handled this topic in class.  I always require that teams form
and discuss a "social issue" toward the end of the semester.  Each
team is free to choose their topic.  AA is represented every semester.
While there is usually a good deal of emotion on such topics in the
early stages of the semester, by the time the presentations are
being made, the student has been exposed to enough of the "social
philosophy" that we are able to focus more on the root causes and
avoid idiosyncratic diversions.  It is neat to watch the transformation
in ideas as the semester progresses.

BTW, the classes are Intro to Management, Business Policy, and in
the Spring, it will be Business & Society.
Roy

Roy L Simerly
East Carolina University                   HOME: 1401 Canterbury Rd
Department of Management                         Tarboro, NC 27886
3106 GCB Greenville, NC 27858 (919) 328-6632     (919) 823-1385
Bitnet: MGSIMERL@ECUVM1 Internet: [log in to unmask]