FACULTYTALK Archives

November 1995

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Hunter Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 1995 11:31:52 -1000
>        I do not know if Robert Lamb is wrong when he states
>
>        ". . . [I]t is important to set the context of law in our lives.
>To ensure that students develop a philosophy of the purpose that law
>plays in their individual lives is perhaps one of the most important
>things we can do in teaching the law."
>
>        But I would like to hear him or another explain *why* that is
>so.  Why is it more important, as the recent discussion suggests, to learn
>the "context" of law, than the laws themselves?

I elected to let someone else respond to your post, but I haven't seen a
reply.  Your question raises an issue which could be debated forever -- we
also might argue whether liberal is better than conservative?

The central question is, "What is the purpose of an undergraduate business
education?"  If an undergraduate business education is merely a form of
trade school, then learning and memorizing the rules of law may be
sufficient.  If undergraduate business education is an extension of the
general education core of liberal arts courses and is about thinking and
reasoning and obtaining a broad based education with pragmatic business
applications - then some variation of Bob Lamb's statement seems
appropriate.

I confess to a strong predisposition to the latter model.
       --Hunter

Hunter L. Kennedy                    -- [log in to unmask]
Hawaii Pacific University            -- FAX (808) 544-9306
1188 Fort Street Mall                -- Voice Recorder (808) 262-0440
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813