FACULTYTALK Archives

February 1996

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Pat Cihon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 09:14:04 EDT
I would have hoped that the ALSB would be sensitive to the legal
implications of posting a notice that begins "We are looking for a
woman ...".  I realize that most feminist legal scholars are probably
female, but I don't think that Kenyon would be able to establish that
being female would be a bona fide occupational qualification for such
a position.
    A recent article in the BNA Employee Relations Weekly (1/8/96, p.
24) stated that liability claims against colleges and universities
had more than doubled in the past 4 years, and that 80% of such
claims involved emploment-related claims.  I can understand why, based
on actions such as the one at issue here.  Presumably Kenyon is an
equal opportunity employer - - if not, they certainly will have their
share of liability claims.  I would hope that the ALSB would
require that those who use its services for advertising employment
positions adhere to the law of land.  Pat Cihon