FACULTYTALK Archives

February 1996

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Reitzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 13:40:26 -0800
CSU, Fresno, has a post-tenure review, recurring at 5-year intervals,
heretofore sporadically enforced.  I assume that the other schools in
the system are subject to the same rules.
I think PTR IS compatible with tenure, which ordinarily can be revoked
for any of several causes.  However, because we are evaluated to death
here--student evaluations are required each semester--I object to PTR
on the grounds of diminishing returns and duplication of effort.  If
student and other evaluations were optional, PTR would be justifiable
as a check on faculty competence, as a basis for supporting a claim
for merit pay, as a way of keeping administration honest, etc.  For me the
bottom line is whether PTR sufficiently enhances professorial quality
to be worth the effort.