FACULTYTALK Archives

February 1996

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Norman Hawker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 11:00:05 -0500
At 10:28 AM 2/29/96, Dennis M. Garvis wrote:

>Do people think that this is a good idea?  I don't think so.  In (trying)
>to do research in an area outside the law, I've come to appreciate
>the West key system, digests, and Shepards as valuable time-saving
>resources for doing legal research.  If the Blue Book recommends against
>using their citations, that process of doing research will fall apart.

I agree that West has much to offer, but I don't think that that will be
lost simply because West will be forced to compete with providers of legal
materials.  Not everyone needs everything West offers, and not everyone can
afford to pay West's prices.  The transition from from a monopoly to
competition will be painful for West just as it was for IBM, ATT, etc., but
West and its new owner, like IBM, ATT, etc., will undoubtedly offer better
products at lower prices as a result of the need to compete.

Norman Hawker                               [log in to unmask]
Department of Finance and Commercial Law
Haworth College of Business                 Phone:  (616) 387-6118
Western Michigan University                 FAX:    (616) 387-5710
Kalamazoo, MI  49008-3811
Home Page:  http://spider.hcob.wmich.edu/fcl/faculty/hawker/index.html