MGTDEV-L Archives

March 1996

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Joe Lipsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 09:15:33 -0500
[Apologies for Cross-Posting]

Colleagues:

I am very concerned about the direction of our field given the extraordinary
confluence of challenges and opportunities that we face.  I would be most
interested in hearing how other professionals view our future.

What trends do you see taking shape in Training & Development/Human Resource
Development/Organization Development over the next five years?  Phrased
another way, if
a [your] CEO came to you and asked how the T&D/HRD/OD function should be
deployed to deal with the future challenges and opportunities of the
organization, what would you say?

Are you optimistic?  Do you believe we will play a substantive role in the
future directions and growth of organizations?  How are our roles evolving?
 What changes must we make in the way we interact with our customers in
organizations?  As we critically evaluate ourselves, how must we change WHAT
we deliver, and HOW it is delivered,  in order for it to be relevant and
effective, while justifying costs?

Consider the following challenges/opportunities:

* Increased competition
* Globalization
* Increased workforce/customer diversity
* New technologies
* Continuous/overlapping change
* Outsourcing
* Cost vs. investment (return on investment)
* Others?

Thank you.

****PLEASE RESPOND TO THE LIST****

Joe Lipsey