ADHS Archives

June 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:04:50 EST
I want to thank the many people who have helped me with my Good Templar book.
This morning I mailed the publisher the index and received the advertising
booklet which lists November 96 as the official publication date.

For those interested the details are as follows:

David M. Fahey, TEMPERANCE & RACISM: JOHN BULL, JOHNNY REB, AND THE GOOD
TEMPLARS (University Press of Kentucky), 220 pages, 22 illustrations, $39.95,
ISBN 0-8131-1984-7

The book discusses African American membership in an international fraternal
temperance society, mostly in the 1860s, 1870s, and 1880s, and the schism over
the rights of blacks in the American South during 1876-1887.