MUMODEMS Archives

July 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 08:37:32 EST
 [log in to unmask] writes:
>> I too have been having problems for the last 5 days.  I can get
 authenticated,
>> but when the programs tries to pull the IP stuff out I get errors up the
 butt!
>> I am using OS/2 Merlin beta and had no trouble untile after two weeks of use
>> and I know that it is not merlin because all of the PPP dialer stuff is the
>> same from warp, and I have been using warp all summer.
>>
>> But like I said the error is not with authentication it is with the IP
>> requests, I can give you about twenty pages of error if anyone want them.
 But
>> I dout they do.  I hope that you all get this worked out within the next few
>> weeks other wise you will have a few unhappy people who will be upset about
>> having to pay for a service that does not work worth a crap now.
>
> Wait...this sounds like a completely different problem than what other
> people are experiencing.
>
> The problems that have been reproducable as of late are:
>
> 1) Modems not responding at all
> 2) Modems negotiate, but PPP server not responding
> 3) PPP server not authenticating properly (this may be the same as #2 but
>    with PAP)
> 4) Slow response time
> 5) Modems disconnecting randomly
>
> If I understand correctly, you're indicating that the authentication is
> working fine (you type in your username and password and the authentication
> is successful) but you get errors when you try to use TCP/IP applications?
> I haven't heard of this problem.  Has anyone else seen this?
>
> I wouldn't rule out Merlin quite yet.  Even though the dialer may be the
> same as Warp, that doesn't mean that other related parts of the OS haven't
> changed (like the TCP/IP stack).
>
> Has anyone else tried Merlin yet (specifically with PPP)?
>
> --
>                                      Kent Covert, Software Coordinator
>                                      Miami Computing and Information Services
>                                      Miami University, Oxford, OH
Well this is how it goes.  I can not completly autenticate.  The auth. server
will not give me a valid ip address.  hence it is not serving ip addresses,
router and so forth.  what happens from what I can see is the server is trying
to give me an ip of 0.0.0.0. merlins and warps dialers will not let me ha an ip
adrdress of 0.0.0.0 and it sould not because that is not vaild for miami or
pretty much any place else.  it lso tries to give 0.0.0.0 for the router ip
address.  don't know if this helps.

btw...

i too am haveing trouble getting the server to responding and asking for a
username and password.

Just my two cents worth.

Paul

  Paul Gentle