MUMODEMS Archives

July 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Chris Davenport <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 1996 22:14:11 GMT
In article 1996Jun3.151937@miavx1,
        [log in to unmask] said:

>My question is concerning using Windows 95 to connect to the
>available PPP
>service.  I can connect and initiate the PPP session using a
>communications
>package I have (ProCOMM Plus), but what do I need to do then?  I
>always lose
>carrier at this point.  I assume (and you know what that means) thatV
>I'm
>initiating the PPP session correctly, I simply type "PPP" at the
>prompt.  How
>can I proceed from this point to using a graphical web browser such
>as
>Netscape?  I've been told that there is a program with Win95 to do
>this, but
>I'm not sure what it is.
>
>Would anyone who has successfully connected to the test PPP service
>to post
>directions for doing so from Win 95?  Thank you very much.
>
>Is it possible to connect using Win3.x?  This is for future
>reference when
>visiting my parents and using their computer.
>
>Thank you in advance, any information would be greatly appreciated.
>
>                                        -Josh Graves

sure, I have win95, and procomm plus, but you don't want to initiate the PPP
 connection using procomm,
instead, (you'll need to add the dial-up networking module) go into the control
 panel,  and click add/remove programs, and add the dial-up networking thingie..
 now go into the dial up networking icon (it should be either on your desktop,
 or in one of the sub-menus) and click on "Make New Connection", it should bring
 up a wizard that'll ask you about a billion questions, then change 1 or 2
 things... anyway, set the telephone number to 529-2930 (use area code and
 whatnot if required), and tell it to connect using your modem (assuming y
ou've configured your modem under win95), then click on "server type" and pick
 win95, windows NT 3.5, Internet,  then click on "log on to network" "enable
 software compression" under advanced options, and click on all the boxes in
 allowed protocols, then click on tcp/ip settings... and click on "server
 assigned IP address" and "specify name server addresses" put for the "primary
 DNS"
134.53.253.1 (leave the rest at 0.0.0.0) then click on "Use IP header
 compression" and turn on "use default gateway on remote network" then click OK
 and OK again then OK again and pick the icon representing your new connection
 and double-click it, then it'll ask you for a user name and password, you
 should know those (last,first name and SS# by default)

oh, one last thing, be sure when you connect that you start up the network
 connection BEFORE starting Procomm Plus, otherwise, the connection will say
 that another application is using your modem and you won't be able to connect..

lemme know if you need more help <[log in to unmask]>