CSCAISGC Archives

October 1996

CSCAISGC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Paul Mongeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CSCA Interpersonal & Small Group Communication <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 10:43:36 EST
I have received three responses thus far to Mandi's question concerning
groups.  I meant to forward these responses to her, however, in cleaning up
my mailbox, I deleted her address (serves me right for trying to work on
four hours sleep a night).

Mandi, if you are out there, I hope that these comments are helpful.  And
if you could, please semd me your e-mail address again.  Thanks.

Oh yes, one more suggestion.  You might also want to check out Larry Frey's
book "groups in context."

Hope all this is helpful.

Paul
 ======================================================================= 49

From: [log in to unmask]

mandi/
read hackman's "groups that work and groups that don't"...a fascinating
case-study appraoch to real groups./joann keyton/u of memphis
 ======================================================================= 58

From: Daniel Arlie <[log in to unmask]>

Mandi,  the best advice I can give you is to think in terms of good
interpersonal communication within the group.  You can also learn abaout the
dynamics of small groups and how people interact within the group.  Hope
this helps.

Arlie V. Daniel

 ======================================================================= 113

From: mistee <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Mandi-
As a graduate student in Communication (with an emphasis in Small group
and Conflict), I hope I can help you a little with your problem.
I have found that no one REALLY likes to work in groups; that is to say
that someone in the group generally feels as if he/she is going to have
to do ALL the work--which could happen. People just feel they'd be better
off by themselves. Keep in mind that 2 heads are better than 1.
The whole world is composed of groups (families, social institutions,
ect.), we sometimes just don't see it that way.
Here's my advice:
1.) develop some group goals.  Get together and talk about what you need
to get accomplished and what you'd like to get accomplished.  This will
help you and everyone else in your group establish an identity (which is
REALLY important.)
2.) establish that group identity!  Who are you?  why are you in the
group?  Talk a little to your group members and see who they are.
Develop some ties. Sometimes it helps if you give yourselves a group name
(I know it sounds a little corny, but it works.)  Why else would there be
names like "The Cleveland Indians" or "Pittsburgh Steelers"?***NEVER USE
THE WORD "GROUP".  ALWAYS SAY "TEAM". THAT'S ENORMOUSLY IMPORTANT!!!
3.)when talking 'ideas', allow everyone to participate.  You can make
this easy on yourself, or you can make it hard.  Try a tried & true
method called THE NGD Method (Nominal group). You can look this term up
on your own, or mail me directly and I will explain what it is. **When
giving your opinions, remember, we criticize ideas, and NOT people.
regardless, I think the NGD Method is an important tool.
4.) CONFLICT.  Yuk.  It sounds scary, but know this Brandi:  CONFLICT is
an ESSENTIAL part of the group process.  What would happen if everyone
agreed with what everyone said 100% of the time (ever hear of Watergate?)
So don't be afraid of conflict, o.k.?
5.) Social/Personality Roles.  Everyone in a group takes on some role or
another.  You can even take on MORE than one role at a time.  For
example, you might be the type of person that gets along with everybody
and makes everyone laugh, but when the group discussion starts, you
choose to sit, listen, and just take excellent notes.  You need to know
what role you typify, and what the roles of the other people in your
group are.

F.Y.I- I know you don't have time to read a whole book, but try to check
out ANY book on small group communication by 2 cool guys named CRAGAN and
WRIGHT.  They make you WANT to know about small group stuff.  I highly
recommend them.
2nd and 3rd on my list of recommendations are Linda L.Putnam and Marshall
Scott Poole. Although they may be way too technical (they're even way too
technical for me sometimes) they also really know their stuff well.

Well, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.  any questions?
Feel free to e-mail me back.  My address and signature file are
immediately following.

Hope all goes well and good luck with your job!
Mistee Freeman, Graduate Faculty, The University of Akron
--
                 _
                 \`\