FACULTYTALK Archives

October 1996

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Caryn Beck-Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 10:27:40 MST7MDT
I agree absolutely with Brenda's comments that students have not been
taught proper rules of respect.  Until a few years ago, I had always been
relatively informal  with my students.  Dan Quayle, who at
that time was Vice-President, gave a speech at Utah State.  After his
presentation, our student body president referred to him as "Dan"
when he thanked him for his speech!!  Needless to say the faculty
were appalled and embarrassed but there was a general consensus that
perhaps we were also somewhat at fault for not instilling proper
respect for positions of authority.  Its time to "take back the
classroom!"