MU-VMS Archives

November 1996

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John B Harlan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:03:52 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "George Greer"
 <[log in to unmask]> wrote (in part):

>They still haven't finished testing 2 year old software
>like Pine and Pico? :)

Pine and Pico are made available on MiaVX1 (Digital OpenVMS) as
"unsupported" products because (a) there are already "supported" products
available on the system for those functions (PMDF Mail and the EVE TPU editor,
which come with vendor support that MCIS can fall back on if necessary), (b)
MCIS simply doesn't have staffing sufficient to support everything we (or our
clients) would like (us) to support, and (c) because MCIS recognizes that Pine
and Pico are popular (and robust) tools, which many of our clients want to and
can use without support from MCIS.

That said, we do gratefully accept and try to resolve bug reports received
regarding Pine and Pico, on a 'time available' basis.  'Time available' is the
key phrase, however, since (as Clayton pointed out), MCIS Technical Support
only has one VMS guru (that being Kent Covert) and none of us have figured out
how to either clone Kent or put more than 24 hours in his day :-)

John

--

          Miami University

          John B Harlan
          Campus Wide Information Systems (CWIS) Coordinator

          Miami Computing & Information Services (MCIS) Client Services
          137 Hoyt Hall
          Oxford, Ohio 45056-1618
          (513) 529-5330 voice  (513) 529-5058 fax
          http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~harlanjb/