FACULTYTALK Archives

June 1997

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Carol J Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 18:25:10 -0600
TIAA-CREF is a major educational pension-investment organization which
many of your U.S.  colleagues are counting on as a basis for retirement
funds in our old age -- since Social Security's security is questionable.
Proposals to tax the entity or deny our pretax deposits could significantly
undercut our ability to support ourselves in retirement.

Informing U.S.  business law faculty members of news that vitally
affects many of them should not be incongruent with "internationalizing"
our organization.    I distinctly remember some other primarily Canadian
inquiries concerning real estate mortgages,  etc.  There ought to be room
for issues concerning various "branches" of our organization.

P.S.  It is too bad this news had to "hit the press"  at this sensitive time in
your life.  Turning 40 was not a problem for me  --  but we'll see in a few
years what 50 does.