FACULTYTALK Archives

October 1997

FACULTYTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Alan C. Roline" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:46:36 -0600
On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Michael OHara wrote:

> Did I hear someone mention Duluth? ;-)
>
> Michael

Yes, and I believe that someone would be me.  Although it has been a while
since I did the research to pitch Duluth as potential site for the ALSB
annual meeting, I recall that the prices for hotel rooms were in the $85
range.  Unfortunately, at least at that time, hotel prices did not seem to
be the issue.  Instead it was the availability of a single hotel that
could accomodate our entire group.  Although Duluth has a remarkably
developed tourism market for its size, it still had only one hotel that
was large enough accomodate our need for both rooms and breakout space.
Because of this rather artificial constraint (and regardless of the fact
that Duluth has 5 major hotels- Holiday Inn, Radisson, Comfort Suites,
Fairfield Inn and Inn on the Lake- all within a short walk from a
beautiful convention facility with more than enough breakout space) St.
Louis was selected.  Now anyone that has been to both St. Louis, MO and
Duluth, MN during the month of August will be able to confirm one of my
reasons for suggesting Duluth.  The other reason I think Duluth (or any
other smaller "less glitzy" city for that matter)  might be viable is the
fact that many of us do combine a family vacation with the conference and
thus would like to see sites that at are reasonably priced, safe, and
family-friendly.

I do not want to sound bitter about not selecting Duluth.  Far be it,
since it will be a lot less work for me to go somewhere else.  But I do
believe that smaller cities like Duluth, with active convention
facilities, represent an opportunity for the ALSB to both lower the cost
to members and may meet other needs left unfulfilled by the selection of
only the largest metropolitan areas.

Al Roline

*  Alan C. Roline,        University of Minnesota-Duluth  *
*  Assistant Professor    10 University Drive             *
*    of Business Law      Duluth, Minnesota 55812         *
*  INTERNET: [log in to unmask]   HOLLERNET:(218)726-8550  *