MUHTML Archives

January 1998

MUHTML@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Harlan Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University HTML <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:41:05 -0500
This message was forwarded to me from Prof. Glenn Julian, in Physics.  I
hope that someone in our group can assist him.

Harlan Williams

This pertains to the LTEP-sponsored project to develop an interactive
Website for Pre-Lab experiences for PHY 184.

Our objective is to make video clips of a few seconds' duration, then
to embed them in interactive html text for posting on the Web;
student responses are logged through the CGI with the Perl language.
A distant possibility is one day making a CD-ROM containing a number
of clips. We do not envision needing audio, nor printing back to tape.
Our emphasis is to stay on the physics content, not on spectacular
presentation.

Our immediate problem is to acquire hardware and software to meet
this objective. For two reasons this should be done right away: so
Joel can get to work, and so I do not lose $500 which must be spent
before 1 April. [ Joel has already demonstrated the ability to make simple
VHS videotape,  play back on a VCR and cut out clips using Adobe Premiere
on Bill Houk's Pentium 90, then post the ~1 MB clips on the Web and play
as QuickTime movies.]

With the LTEP grant I have acquired an IBM Thinkpad 380D (150MHz,
48 MB RAM, 1 GB hard drive). At the recommendation of Kirk Hopkins
in the Shriver Center bookstore, to go in the laptop I acquired a
Nogatech CaptureVision PCMCIA card, which is still in the box
unopened.

I have since learned that, on the basis of Editor's Choice in PC Magazine
7 Oct 1997,  MCIS has acquired and is evaluating (with plans to support)
the Matrox Rainbow Runner Studio (street price $200) and miroVideo
 DC30 plus (list $999, bundled with Adobe Premiere 4.2, $600 street if
separate) cards. I'll ask Harlan Williams whether either of these cards
will fit
into the IBM laptop; if so perhaps I should get one of these cards in
order to take advantage of MCIS support.

The kinds of things that PC Magazine (7 Oct 1997) seeks in video editing
seem far beyond the simple level that we have in mind: it is a big deal
whether multiple video clips can easily be spliced together, and they
worry about "wipes" with "page curl". At least for now we simply need
to cut out and color-correct single clips.

If I read correctly, the Editor's Choice MGI VideoWave would have
more capability than we need, for $100 street price. However there is
the question whether it is compatible with the Nogatech capture board.
PC Magazine used it with the DC30plus  which MCIS acquired. On the other
hand, that board already ships with the Adobe Premiere software, so that
makes the VideoWave superfluous.

Funds ARE available to buy the Adobe Premiere software, though it appears
to be vastly more than we really need. I do not know that the Adobe
Premiere is compatible with the Nogatech card, though I imagine it is.  I
have
not yet explored the possibility of trying to return the unopened Nogatech
card.

I should mention that I already have, but have not used, an Intel
Smart Video Recorder Pro card which dates back to 1994 (PC Magazine
still likes the Video Recorder III - presumably a descendant - for
capturing files for CD-ROM and Internet distribution) and Asymmetrix
Multimedia Toolbook 4.0 (PC Magazine speaks disparagingly of
Asymmetrix Digital Video Producer 4.0 "needs updating").

I would be grateful for advice from any or all of you as to how to
proceed - buy new hardware/software or use what I already have -
in order to get on with the project promptly.

Thanks in advance.
Glenn M. Julian
Physics