ATEG Archives

September 1998

From:
Michael Kischner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 13:46:49 -0700
Isn't thins a simple case of the subject-transitive verb-direct
object-object complement pattern with the object complement in this case
preceding the direct object?  We do often explain that pattern as implying
(derived from) a "to be" between the direct object and the object
complement:  The judge declared the law (to be) unconstitutional.  ANd we
sometimes reverse the pattern, especially when the direct object with its
modifiers is long:  The judge declared unconstitutional the law
prohibiting billboards within the city limits.