MUCWFAC Archives

May 1999

MUCWFAC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Eric Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 12:18:20 -0400
Yo Cohorters, or is it Cohortites?

        As of today, the Margery Cook fund has 4323.93 in it.  I believe that
another $1400 or so will appear next fall, brining the total to about $5700.

        I don't know if you've been following the conversation on the MWFAC
listserve, but Annie has been in touch with Carolyn Kizer, inquiring if she
might want to be considered for such a reading.  Kizer surprised her by
saying that she'd rather come teach, and not for one week but two.   I
heard Kizer at AWP this year and think it would be fabulous to bring her to
campus.  So Annie is supposed to follow up now on that.  If Kizer is to
come for two weeks, then we will need to pay for housing for her part of
the time--the University you will remember only provides 5 free nights of
housing.  That will leave up to 7 or 8 nights to pay for.

        I'm proposing taking that money from the Cook fund (I'm guessing somewhere
around $400-500 and calling Kizer both the Sprint person and the Cook Poet.
 That would leave somewhere around $5200 in the fund.  With the addition of
approximately $1400 in the fall of 2001, we would have $6600.  That would
mean  that we could have excellent Cook readers in both 2001-2002, and
2002-2003, to go along with Carolyn Kizer in 1999-2000, if she indeed
agrees to come next year.

        I think planning should occur early next fall to arrange for both those
Cook Poets for the following two years.

        As for Steve's query about George Saunders, I don't know his work, but am
open to persuasion.  It's beginning to look as if Molly Giles would prefer
to come in the fall of 2000.  I'll know more definitely soon.

        Eric