ADHS Archives

May 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 09:48:45 +0200
Lowell --
    The language here is dominated by words from the temperance era. "Prohibitionist" is the only word I can think of (plus various slang terms -- "bluenose", "wowser" in Australia, although these also meant being against a broader range of kinds of "fun") -- but it implies being opposed to drinking for others as well as oneself. I think you have to fall back on phrases like "principled abstainer".  In the old days, "teetotaler" would have been the word, but I seriously doubt the average 15-year-old knows what it means today.  In the internal language of 12-step movements, "sober" is the word....
    There are various analyses of reasons American abstainers give for not drinking.  See, for instance, Michael Hilton, Abstention in the general population of the U.S.A. British Journal of Addiction 81:95-112, 1986; Tom Greenfield, Reasons for abstaining or limiting drinking: US national trends between 1984 and 1990, presented at the RSA 1993.  (Publication E398, available from Alcohol Research Group, 2000 Hearst Ave., Berkeley CA 94709-7175).    Robin